Translate

Thursday, April 25, 2013

THIS IS TOO COOL, POPE JOHN PAUL II CELEBRATES THE UKRANIAN RITE BYZANTINE LITURGY OF SAINT JOHN CHRYSOSTOM IN A 1996 DIVINE LITURGY AT THE PAPAL ALTAR IN SAINT PETER'S BASILICA!

This is the complete liturgy which begins with the procession about 5 minutes into the video. The Eastern Rite Chant of the Ukrainian Church is marvelous! Please note the altar as it is vested for this liturgy and that the Holy Father celebrates the Liturgy with his back to the nave, which is quite interesting too, since the Basilica when the Bishop of Rome celebrates Mass facing the nave is ad orientem toward the actual geographical east! Many thanks to Fr. G for sending this link!

2 comments:

Robert Kumpel said...

On Palm Sunday I had the opportunity to attend the Divine LIturgy at a Byzantine Rite Church. I have never seen my children look so enthralled at Mass. They didn't understand everything that was going on, to be sure, but they knew that it was something holy and important. I had no idea that JPII ever offered the Divine Liturgy this way. I wonder how many other popes have shown such diversity.

Luke said...

I've been wanting to see this for years!