Translate

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

I HAVE A RETIRED ARCHBISHOP OF SAINT JOHN, NEWFOUNDLAND AS A COUSIN! JUST FOUND OUT THIS MINUTE AND FROM HIM!


Do we look alike or does my Italian half overpower my Canadian half?

About 20 minutes ago I received a call from Archbishop James H. MacDonald the Archbishop-Emeritus of St. John's Newfoundland. He introduced himself to me as my relative in Georgia.

He retired as Archbishop Metropolitan at the age of 75 in the year 2000. So he is now about 86 years old and would be a contemporary of my father.

The connection as I understood it is that his mother and my father's mother were first Cousins. So what does that make me to him? A first cousin twice removed????? His mother was from Judique, Cape Breton and was a MacEachern, just as my grandmother (who died in childbirth in 1912 at a very young age).

He's coming to Georgia in late October and will swing by to see me in Macon. I can't believe it and I'm excited to meet him!

Archbishop MacDonald first was an auxiliary bishop in Hamilton, Ontario and then became the bishop of Prince Edward Island right next to Cape Breton and then was name Archbishop of Saint John Newfoundland. Newfoundland is a half hour different in time than the Province of Nova Scotia. Just a little tidbit there!

Archbishop MacDonald, that has a very nice sound to it doesn't it?

PRESS HERE FOR THE WEBSITE OF THE ARCHDIOCESE OF ST. JOHN'S NEWFOUNDLAND

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Second cousins, no removal, I think.

qwikness said...

Your father and he are second cousins. I think that would be your second cousin one time removed.

Anonymous said...

Small world and so nice to find another relative who has followed the same path. You might ask his opinion of the revised missal and your work with regaining continuity with the past through V II.

If you don't think that is appropriate you can take him out for a hamburger and, considering his age, see if he gets a Golden Arches Bishop discount.

rcg

Templar said...

Around the nose and mouth, yes I do see a bit of a resemblance to be sure.

While I haven't mouthed out Archbishop MacDonald, I did pray for a Bishop MacDonald enough that I thought it had a nice ring to it (meaning no disresepct to Bishop-Elect Hartmayer who the Holy Spirit seems to have selected for us). LOL

Gene said...

Well, I selfishly prayed for anything but a Bishop MacDonald...