Translate

Sunday, May 9, 2010

MOTHER'S DAY TORNADO IN MACON, GEORGIA, TWO YEARS AGO, 2008!

By the grace of God and the maternal protection of the Blessed Mother, no one was critically injured and no one was killed. At the time I post this, about 5:30 AM this morning, two years ago, Tornado sirens were screaming throughout the city alerting citizens to the impending disaster. The weather was wicked, hot, muggy and stifling. The wind was wicked, the lightening unbelievable and the thunder downright apocalyptic. Downtown was jostled but left relatively unscathed, but for a few minutes I thought I'd be like Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz, finding myself not in Macon anymore, but somewhere else. I prayed my Act of Contrition hoping that the somewhere else wouldn't be hell! We didn't cancel any of our Masses that Mother's Day morning although Maconites were ordered to stay off the roads that day. We had a respectable showing for Mass although certainly curtailed in comparison to a normal Mother's Day turnout.

No comments: